Saturday, September 18, 2010

Why Spelling is Important To Me

Right it's ranting time. I've recently noticed a sudden drop in almost 95% of teenagers spelling ability. Quite frankly it has gotten to the point where it downright pisses me off. I'm not talking English spelling and grammar PhD grade, but normal everyday words being slaughtered in a vain attempt to look cool...or something. I've done it for comedic purposes on my status's and notes and I've spent more than 2 minutes thinking of how to downright abbreviate or misspell a word that it is hardly readable anymore. The sad reality is that most teenagers consider this the norm in their everyday lives.



I mean is it really necessary to be so bloody stupid that you can't spell basic words like "Again" or "Bored". I timed myself on a keyboard and it literally took about 7 milliseconds to include a E in bored as apposed to bord that most teens spew out. We're not all perfect in spelling including me and I've used spell check on this note, I'm not going to lie to you. But is it absolutely necessary to spell SO bad that it could have been used in ancient wars to encode secret messages for craps sake.



There is almost no excuse to spell this bad. I was on Mxit a long time ago and I asked this girl what she was doing she said and I quote "nm jus lib im bord". Now me , who was in a bad f**king mood, asked here why her spelling is so frieken bad. She said "o im buzy". Now after that I did not know what I did. Laughed my ass off or suddenly cried of utter hopelessness. She just stated she is laying in bed for f**ks sakes now she tells me she is too busy to type out basic bloody words.



And this "o im afrikaans so i dont tipe good english...lololol" excuse is also stupid. I'm Afrikaans bred and I can spell better in English than my mother. I've actually became better in English as Afrikaans because society demands me that I use English as it is an international language. O and in case you wondered, that's why I type everything in English instead of Afrikaans



I'm really concerned for the future of our generation if this continues. I looked at a friends Essay once (yes an Essay that counted for marks) and out if the first sentence I found about 7 mistakes. The sentence was about 15 words long. He even went so far as to abbreviate "You" into "u" out of f**king instinct or something. I'm already seeing it in ads these days where they are butchering the English language to appeal to the Tweenie masses. I want to poke my eyes out with a butterknife whenever I see that LG Chatterbox on the TV.



I blame it all on Text Chats (MXIT) Some people gave me the excuse that they are talking to too many people and don't have enough time to type out whole words. I asked them how much they had and the answer I got was around 5. I was talking to 14 people back then and I typed out full words.



This entire dilemma was actually born from pure laziness with a tiny dose of peer pressure. When I started using Mxit everyone typed out nice clean words and as time creeped on spelling bad suddenly became a fad. It wasn't moderate , it was insane. I was stuck thinking WTF is going on here every time I got a reply.



Some abbreviations I have no issues with (WTF, HTF, STFU) They make your life easier and everyone knows what they mean. Now there is an abbreviated version of just about anything and that makes my soul want to burn.


Thanks for reading and please hand your essays in at my table.



PS: If your one of those clowns that are going to pick out single words that I misspelled and make a comment into your own stupid joke for erotic pleasures, go eat your liver

No comments: